There is always a certain thrill created around the prom ceremony: everything has to be perfect. However, as with everything in life, expectations can often fall short of reality, but it doesn't mean that it can't still be a meaningful and memorable experience.
The reality is that prom night can be far from perfect. There may be unexpected mishaps. The weather may suck, your date may arrive late or dump you right before, causing stress and anxiety, and so on.
In order not to be disappointed and upset at this magic moment, it is better to be prepared for various circumstances and enjoy your night no matter what. There are ways to let go of your expectations and make the most of the situation at hand.
First of all, your state of mind. Try not to idealize the prom, because absolutely anything can happen, and you need to go with the flow, accepting the situation. You can't control the weather, traffic, or other people's actions. What you can control is your own attitude and reactions. Try to stay calm, flexible, and open-minded. Even if the day doesn't go exactly as planned, try to focus on the positive aspects of the experience.
If it’s hard for you to take things out of control and let go, take care of some things you can think through:
- Take a plaster in case your new shoes cause calluses (or better – take a change of sneakers with you).
- Take a cape or a jacket in case it gets cold.
- Think about adding some extra time for your makeover so you have time for mistakes.
- If you know you can’t make it to the prom night, instead of crying a river, plan a separate party with friends afterward that will be your own prom night.
- Wear something to feel extra confident and a showstopper so you can enjoy yourself to the fullest.